Honeywell Principal Research Engineer Scientist in Golden Valley, Minnesota
Principal Research Engineer Scientist
We are pleased to announce a unique opportunity within Honeywell, which performs advanced technology research and development for Honeywell business units and is chartered with developing advanced technology to support new product development and new business creation.
Honeywell has key technical thrusts in optics, gas detection, advanced sensing & MEMs, micro power generation, wireless, and advanced electronics. Project teams within the lab utilize advanced research in materials, new sensing principles, micro/nano fabrication, wireless communications to create leading edge technologies. This department works closely with various Honeywell businesses to transition these new technologies into next generation products.
The candidate will conduct research, development and demonstration of advanced technology that will result in new products for Honeywell markets. Candidates will provide technical leadership in pursuing funding opportunities with organizations such as DARPA, IARPA and the DoD research laboratories, and in executing the resulting projects. The candidate will develop new concepts, write proposals, and develop new technologies. This includes understanding customer requirements, translating those into device and product requirements, perform trade studies, writing research and development proposals. We expect the person to be aware of technology trends and the needs of the external research organizations; be capable of generating new ideas to address those needs; shape the technology developments for the potential transfer into Honeywell products.
We are seeking a Principal Research Engineer Scientist to bring extensive experience in physics, engineering, or materials science to our challenging R&D projects. The successful candidate will:
- Act as a technology leader within Honeywell ACST, championing technologies from initial concept through product launch
- Integrate with existing project teams to drive development of key technologies through early design through multiple prototyping cycles
- Ability to work directly with sponsors and customers to understand and formulate their technical requirements and business needs into achievable results
- Support and frequently interact with stakeholders inside and outside work area
- Manage and understand complex customer requirements
- Negotiate with customers, partners and subcontractors on requirements and design parameters
- Transform customer requirements into innovative prototypes based on creative design and fabrication techniques
- Work on assignments that are complex in nature and where judgment and initiative is required
- Solve complex problems through analysis and innovation; solutions may become part of standard operating procedure
- Technical curiosity and breadth of knowledge are highly sought after traits for this position
- Will travel up to 20%
YOU MUST HAVE
- PhD in physics, engineering, or material science
- 10 years of engineering experience in an R&D environment with 5 years of experience with power and energy devices or systems (e.g. fuel cells, batteries, energy harvesting, combustion, power/energy systems)
- 5 years of project leadership experience
- 10+ years of experience developing groundbreaking new ideas, writing proposals to government customers (e.g. DARPA, IARPA, DoD), winning/providing technical leadership to execute contracts
- U.S. citizenship required in order to obtain and maintain government security clearance.
- Strong analytical skills and an excellent understanding of basic physics
- Strong self-motivation/direction, entrepreneurial mind-set, and teaming skills
- Clear and concise written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong project management skills to create and maintain programmatic and technical documentation.
- Proficiency in analyzing experimental data using standard software tools (e.g. Excel, Matlab, Python, R, etc.).
- Experience building prototype systems that integrate diverse component technologies
- Experience with CAD tools such as: ProE, MasterCAM, Solidworks,
- Experience with modeling tools such as MatLab, COMSOL, ANSYS ,
- Job ID: 00324724
- Category: Technology R&D
- Location: Golden Valley, MN USA
Honeywell is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality, sex, or veteran status.
Honeywell is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality, sex, religion, or veteran status.
For more information on applicable equal employment regulations, refer to the EEO is the Law poster .
Please refer to the EEO is the Law Supplement Poster & the Pay Transparency Policy .
If a disability prevents you from applying for a job through our website, request assistance here . No other requests will be acknowledged.
Terms & Conditions | Privacy Statement © 2017 Honeywell International Inc.